HEALTHCARE AND LIFESTYLE
For some people, fertility treatments can be very stressful. Some patients tend to put their lives on hold as they allow their treatment plan to consume all their attention. This is understandable, however we would like to offer advice that may possibly help our couples handle stress and enhance their health and well being. Here are some tips on how to cope with the treatment and the process overall.
- Drink plenty of water and nourishing fluids, around 3 liters per day. Maintain a balanced diet which includes all food groups in moderation.
- Try to lower the caffeine intake to one cup per day.
- Get on with life normally, go out and do the things you like and enjoy.
- Exercise moderately, like walking for thirty minutes daily, to support a healthy living.
- Lose weight if you’re overweight, obesity might sometimes be the cause of infertility.
- Gain weight if you’re underweight. Underweight is associated with hypothalamic infertility as a result of hormonal imbalance.
- Take folic acid and multivitamins.
- Maintain supportive relationships (friends and family).
- Talk to someone, you trust and share your concerns with, who would not be pressuring you with the fertility problem (you can talk to our counselor).
- Sleep well. Most adults need an average of 7-9 hours sleep every night. A good night sleep is crucial to a relaxed and productive day.
- Meditate for a few minutes every day, sit comfortably and breathe deeply in and out while focusing solely on your breath. Meditation quietens the mind and creates a state of peacefulness.
- Yoga helps create a relaxed state.
- Relax when you get a chance and put yourself in joyful surroundings as much as possible.
- Use positive affirmations, which are statements repeated to one’s self in an attempt to create in reality via the subconscious mind.
- Don’t Smoke
- Don’t Stress yourself too much
- Don’t Isolate yourself from your family and friends
- Don’t Drink alcohol
- Don’t Eat junk and processed foods or consume too much refined sugars and artificial sweeteners
- Don’t Listen to the advice of anyone except your treating physician
- Don’t Stay in bed without any activity after embryo transfer
- Don’t Do vigorous or extreme sports
- Don’t Expose yourself to environmental pollutants and toxins
- Don’t Do unnecessary interventions based on no solid scientific evidence